The Wheelwright Shop specialises in traditional wooden wheel and carriage building. We are based in Gladstone, Wairarapa, New Zealand.
The Wheelwright Shop was established in 1994 by Greg & Ali Lang. Greg served an apprenticeship in the UK and has a City & Guilds of London qualification in Wheelwrighting & Carriage Building. Ali learned the art of traditional Coach Painting & Lining while in the UK. We undertake:
• Wooden wheel manufacture and repair
• Traditional horse-drawn vehicle manufacture and repair
• Conservation and restoration of all forms of wooden-bodied or framed transport
• Conservation reports
• Steam bending
• Solid rubber tyre fitting
• Traditional coach painting, lining and gold leafing.
We have made horse-drawn vehicles and produced other art department requirements for major international film projects such as Lord of the Rings and The Last Samurai.
We also welcome group tours of our workshop (by appointment only) and are suppliers of carriage hardware and timber (contact us with your requirements).